Caramelised Balsamic Vinegar
This recipe is divine, even if I do say so myself, and I get many people who I give bottles to, saying the same. It is not a difficult recipe but does take time to make.
There are many recipes on the web, but you don’t need much more than balsamic vinegar and sugar to get the results I get. The propertion of these and how you make it however, is the key.
What ever quantity you make, make sure you have ¾ kg sugar to each litre of vinegar. This is measured at the beggining, not after reduction. So for example, if you start with 4 litres of vinegar, you’ll need 3kg sugar.
The cooking time will also vary depending on the quantity you make.
- Place the vinegar into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Once boiled, reduce to a rolling simmer and simmer until the liquid reduces by half.
- Once reduced, add the sugar all at once, and stir till it’s completely dissolved and comes back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat again to a rolling simmer and cook for an hour.
- Cool and bottle.
- Caramelised balsamic will keep almost indefinitely in the pantry.