Aubergine de MelanzaneEggplants make perfect involtini. You can cut the slices as thick or thin as you like. They will bee easier to roll however if you disgorge the slices first with salt and rinse them well. To see how to disgorge eggplant slices, see Disgorging Eggplant.
- Preheat oven.
- Slice the eggplant lengthways into 1cm thick slices.
- Disgorge the slices by sprinkling with salt and stand for 10 minutes before rinsing and patting dry.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- When hot, fry eggplant until lightly browned on both sides; drain on absorbent paper.
- In the centre of each fried eggplant, place a row of bocconcini topped with ricotta, sun dried tomato, and basil leaves; season with salt and pepper.
- Roll eggplant up in a neat sausage-like shape.
- Place seam side down in a baking tray.
- Top with passata and bake in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.